About Me

My photo
Texas, United States
I am happily married to Ellis. We were married on May 9th of 2009 (the best day of my life). I am a nurse in the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit). Ellis is currently in school full time finishing up his basics and is also working as a care partner at the hospital. He plans to attend nursing school. On December 19th of 2010 we were blessed with our son, Gavin. Gavin was with us for 11 short days (that we are extremely grateful for) before he passed away. He is now with our Father in Heaven, where we look forward to seeing him again someday. We are currently expecting our second baby, a little girl. She is due in May of 2012. We have a chocolate lab named Sadie and a yellow lab named Lucky. They are both a little over two years old and a lot of fun. I enjoy learning more about God, traveling, shopping, and spending time with my husband,friends,and family. We love God and know we are blessed beyond measure.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Gavin's 3 Month Birthday







I intended to write this post yesterday, but I was way too busy getting ready for our company that we had last night. Yesterday Gavin would have been 3 months old. I can't believe it. I wish I was writing a post to tell everyone that Gavin is 3 months old and that he is getting close to coming home, but unfortunately I will never get to write those type of posts. So instead I've decided that today will be all about Gavin and 3's to represent his 3 month birthday.

My 3 favorite features about Gavin:
1. His adorable nose
2. His cute feet and long toes
3. His left hand that was perfect for holding

My 3 favorite memories about Gavin:
1. Delivering Gavin and hearing him cry for the first and only time
2. Visiting Gavin and holding his left hand everyday. We knew by how hard he squeezed our hand what type of day he was having.
3. Holding Gavin for the first time on Christmas while the nurse changed out his linen. Now that was the best Christmas present ever.

3 Things that Gavin taught me about life:
1. Life is NOT fair
2. God is good ALL the time
3. I am blessed to have the most amazing family and friends in the world. I mean who has friends that come running every time that your son is having a bad day including on Christmas and Christmas Eve just so they can be there for you? or Who has parents (from out of town) that would go up to the hospital every morning at 0730 to be with your son so that you and your husband could get a little more rest and then stay up there with you the whole day?
We are Blessed!

3 ways that Gavin has made me a better nurse:
1. I've realized how important it is to let the mom and dad participate in the care of their baby regardless of how sick he or she is.
2. I've learned to never judge anyone by the choices or decisions that they make for their baby. There were hard choices that Ellis and I were forced to make that no parent should ever have to make.
3. I've learned how important it is to help families make memories because you never know how long they will have with their sweet baby and to always advocate for the patient's that I take care of because they can't advocate for themselves.

3 things that I wish we never had to do but wouldn't trade:
1. Holding our sweet Gavin for the first and last time all at the same time.
2. Saying goodbye and showing Gavin all the love in the world in a few short hours as we held him while he went to be with God.
3. Only getting to spend 11 days with our sweet Gavin.

3 Bible Verses that I've learned to love:
1. Psalm 139
2.Philippians 4:7- And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hears and your minds in Christ Jesus.
3.Psalm 50:15- and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor me.
*It was really hard for me to choose just 3; there are so many that I've clung to over the last few months.

3 Sayings I now Love:
1.There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on the world.
2. You are who you are for a reason.
Youre part of an intricate plan.
your a precious and perfect unique design,
Called Gods special woman or man.
You look like you look for a reason.
Our God made no mistake.
He knit you together within the womb,
Your just what he wanted to make.
The parents you had were the ones he chose,
and no matter how you may feel,
they were custom designed with Gods plan in mind,
and they bear the masters seal.
No, that trauma you faced was not easy.
and God wept that it hurt you so:
But it was allowed to shape your heart
So that into his likeness you'd grow.
You are who you are for a reason,
You've been formed by the Masters rod.
You are who you are, beloved,
Because there is a God!
3.I don't understand God, but I know God and I know God is good.

And of course I had to include only 3 of my favorite pictures (this was a hard choice)


I could go on and on about things that I've learned and experiences that I've had because of Gavin, but I said in the beginning that I would leave all the categories to 3's. That was much harder than I intended. Gavin taught me more than I could have ever imagined that he would. He was a very special little boy. As hard as it is, I feel blessed to know that God entrusted me and Ellis to take care of him for the few short days he was on this earth. I know we were chosen for him and he was chosen for us long before he was created.

Love to All,
Melissa


No comments:

Post a Comment